Upgrading your BlackBerry OS via BBSAK using Device Wipe

Apr 5th, 201121 Comments

This is the process for Upgrading your BlackBerry OS via BBSAK using Device Wipe. Your device would works normally as it does.

Here’s the process to update your Device OS.

1) Take Backup of your Device via Desktop Manager before proceeding.

2) Download and install http://bbsak.org/request.php?f=BBSAKv1.9.1_Installer.msi

3) Run BBSAK then click on WIPE DEVICE, when asked to enter a password, leave it blank incase you don’t have a password on your device.

4) Wait for a few seconds till you get the confirmation that it was done.

5) Now your device has no operating system and you should see a white screen on the BB

6) Download the Device Software -
ENSURE YOU HAVE UNINSTALLED ANY PREVIOUS OS FROM THE CONTROL PANEL FIRST.
You can find the latest OS for your device here: http://blackberryrocks.com/latest-blackberry-os/

7) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

8) Navigate to My Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

If you have 64-bit version Windows then Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files(x86)  >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

9) Delete the file named vendor.xml

10) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

11) Run loader.exe from that same folder then proceed to installing your OS.

12) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy. (Incase you were given 2 choices whether to leave the applications intact or to downgrade them to the original versions, choose the 2nd option which is to downgrade them, this will ensure you have a completely fresh installation)

13) Restore the Backup taken earlier back via DM. It is recommended to restore only those data which are required like SMS, Call Logs, Mails, Contacts etc.

About author:

All entries by

20 Responses to “Upgrading your BlackBerry OS via BBSAK using Device Wipe”

1. Shameem M says:

Useful information.. Keep it up…

2. Mrinal says:

Very useful and explained in very good manner. You are a good teacher man… good going..Keep it up…

3. Venu says:

Awesome post Pratit.
    I don’t use BBSAK much, but is the removal of other OS required? You can probably check next time when you upgrade.

If both versions are there, I think you are probably prompted to select one of the installed versions. It shouldn’t affect the OS install. (I might be wrong)

• Shayon says:

Venu, It is possible to install another OS without a device wipe.

1. Uninstall the old OS from the computer.
      2. Download and install the new OS
      3. Delete the vendor.xml file
      4. Run BB Desktop Manager
      5. Plug in the BB with the USB cable, and wait for the DM to detect the device
      6. Query for an OS upgrade
      7. Go ahead with the upgradation process once prompted.

This should install the new OS with all the settings and native apps kept intact. However, I do not remember if the 3rd party apps get backed up too, or whether they need to be installed separately, later.

• venukb says:

3rd party apps do get backed up along with their settings.
        Actually i was referring to point 6 – “ENSURE YOU HAVE UNINSTALLED ANY PREVIOUS OS FROM THE CONTROL PANEL FIRST”

Uninstalling other versions of OS installed on the PC might not always be necessary. I have upgraded couple of times without doing this. But yet, I see many suggesting to do this step.

4. Tejas says:

Great Post Pratit bhai.

Short ,Succint, To the point, just what is needed…..

Tejas

5. Jayanth says:

Thanks for helping a n00b like me, thnx bbindia nd pratit

6. abhishek says:

please help me i wiped my device with BBsak and installed the latest exe file also available through airtel india now deleted vendor file also but my app loader is not detecting the new software and my bb is blank now with this error on screen ” ERROR 507 RELOAD SOFTWARE ” PLEASE HELP I AM STUCK :(

please help me

• Pratit says:

Abhishek, click on Charge Only on your BlackBerry when connected to USB instead of Sync Media or USB Storage and your device would get detected in BBSAK.

• aky says:

hi abhihek
      m facing the same problem. did u find ny solution. pls hep
      thanks

7. abhijeet says:

@ abhishek .. ru using WIndows 7(64bit) ? I have seen this issue with windows7(64bit). When I did use vista this worked fine for me. Currently I am in 6.0.0.534 on BB 9300.

8. sharath says:

try it .. this w2ill actuall y give the instructions on how to upgrade the black berry..

9. Aries says:

Please help me, I am a new blackberry user.

I am having problem with my BB Tour, it got an error “Reload Software 507″

• Venu says:

Check if this helps

——————————————-
      This error message might appear because of the following causes:

The power management feature on the computer turns off the USB ports.
      The BlackBerry smartphone is connected to a laptop computer using a docking station.
      ——————————————-

10. [...] Please help me sort out this issue, my provider is Vodafone IN. v5.0.0.1036(Bundle 1805, Platform 5.2.0.113). I believe the above is the latest FW available for 8520, I updated by following this guide. Upgrading your BlackBerry OS via BBSAK using Device Wipe [...]

11. khadermohideen says:

WHICH KEY IS ESCAPE KEY,Pls help me sir

12. khadermohideen says:

WHICH KEY IS ESCAPE KEY in blackberry 9780 model to enter in safe mode,Pls help me sir

13. khadermohideen says:

JVM ERROR 545,pls help me

model-9780
    357175-04-143497-7
    1065242851
    276BA45A
    MEP-04103-001

14. Gontse says:

Please could help me my BlackBerry 8520 doesn’t receive calls or sms but it can go to the internet. When I try to make a call it say Supplimentary error : General error. Could you please help me out what should I do?

15. Deepak says:

Sir, i delete the old version on my bb 9800 there is 507 error. Insure me its work now im trying to downlod the new version os . If it not work plese helm okeee.i think its work

16. Arshaq says:

in the 11th step got stuck

in the application loader wizard -it says “choose the applications that are to be installed or removed from your device”